This is reprinted with permission from Claire’s Comfy Corner. Claire is a member of Chronic Illness Bloggers and we appreciate her sharing her wisdom.
5 Tips for New Bloggers
- Build a community of loyal readers. Write appealing and catchy blog titles, this will inspire people’s curiosity and attract them to your site. Write about something you are passionate about, let your personality and passion shine through your posts. Ensure that you write meaningful blog posts that will resonate with your regular readers. Encourage interaction wherever possible, talk directly to your readers and invite them to reply to your posts. Engage with them and always respond to their comments – let them know how much they mean to you.
- Use images. People love images, they add visual interest and help to break up text. Over the past month my food photos have improved. I have a better camera, I bought white plates to enhance the visual appeal of my food and I always try to include at least one close up image of the texture of the food. I hope to continue improving and learn to edit.
- Take advantage of social media. Social media is powerful. You need to develop a promotion plan and follow it with the same amount of intensity you poured into writing your blog post. Join Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest and create a Facebook page. Promote your blog regularly! EVERY DAY! I use Buffer to schedule my tweets – up to 10 a day. And best of all Buffer is free! You can download the app and schedule your tweets whilst you’re out living your life. Spend time liking and commenting on photos on Instagram that you love. I’m attracted to beautifully presented food, cute cats and mesmerising scenic views. Oh and pretty flowers! Include social media sharing buttons on your site, you want your regular readers to share your blog posts easily. One of my blog posts was shared over 4,100 times on Facebook alone. This has helped to raise further awareness about Fibromyalgia.
- Join a Facebook blogging group. Never underestimate the importance of networking with other bloggers. There is a wonderful community of bloggers out there. Don’t be afraid to ask for help; ask questions, listen to advice and learn from more experienced bloggers. Engage with other bloggers, visit their blogs, show them some love – retweet interesting blog posts, follow them on a variety of social media platforms and comment on their posts. You might be asked to write a guest post on another blogging site, this is a wonderful feeling, a proud moment and it attracts new readers.
- Enjoy blogging. This is listed last but it’s probably the most important tip regardless of your topic. Stop worrying about stats. Work on creating great content and rewarding your regular readers. Have fun!
Thank you Claire for sharing your tips!